К.А. Tokmakov1,2, V.I. Gorbachev1, V.V. Unzhakov3, S.M. Gorbacheva1
1 Irkutsk State Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education — Branch Campus of the Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Further Professional Education “Russian Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education” of the Ministry of Healthcare of the Russian Federation, Irkutsk
2 Ministry of Public Health of the Khabarovsk Territory Regional Clinical Hospital No. 2, Khabarovsk
3 Ministry of Public Health of the Khabarovsk Territory Territorial State Budget Educational Institution of Additional Professional Education. Postgraduate Institute for Public Health Workers, Khabarovsk
For correspondence: Gorbachev Vladimir Ilych — doctor of medical Sciences, Professor, head of Department of anesthesiology and reanimatology of Irkutsk State Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education — Branch Campus of FSBEI FPE RMAPgE MOH Russia; e-mail: email@example.com
For citation: Tokmakov КА, Gorbachev VI, Unzhakov VV, Gorbacheva SM. English for anesthesiologist: fashion or necessity? Alexander Saltanov Intensive Care Herald. 2018;3:22–9.
Background. Evidence-based medicine exists as a new paradigm for medical practice all over the world for more than 25 years. Evidence-based medicine requires new skills of the physician, including efficient literature searching and the application of formal rules of evidence evaluating the clinical literature. But what about english language for medical practice?
Objective is to determine whether english essential for anesthesiologists for practicing evidence-based medicine in a clinical setting.
Methods. Comparison of english and russian-language journals in the categories of «Anesthesiology and pain medicine»and “Critical care and intensive care medicine” using such scientometric indicators as CiteScore 2016 and CiteScore 2017, Journal Impact Factor, SCImago Journal Rank, SNIP. A survey of students(specialty “anesthesiology and intensive care medicine” (n = 19), and anesthesiologists (n = 31) to assess the level of knowledge of English language.
Results. We determined that without access to English-language journals, anesthesiologists are not able to practice evidence-based medicine in a clinical setting. English language skills of anesthesiologists are not enough to understand english full-text articles.
Conclusion. Russian anesthesiologists need english language for successful practice of evidence-based medicine.
Keywords: English language, evidence-based medicine, anesthesiology, intensive care medicine, questionnaires, scientometric index
- Guyatt G., Cairns J., Churchill D. et al. Evidence-Based Medicine. A New Approach to Teaching the Practice of Medicine. JAMA. 1992; 268(17): 2420–2425.
- Kuhn T. The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. Chicago, 1962. 2ed. Chicago, 1970.
- Vaniyapong T., Chongruksut W., Rerkasem K. Local versus general anaesthesia for carotid endarterectomy. The Cochrane database of systematic reviews. 2013; 12: CD000126.
- Рейтинг журналов, индексируемых в базе данных Scopus [Электронный ресурс]. URL: https://www.scopus.com/sources. (Дата обращения: 10.07.18.)
- Перечень импакт-факторов журналов [Электронный ресурс]. URL: https://www.scijournal.org/. (Дата обращения: 10.07.18.)
- Рейтинг журналов SJR [Электронный ресурс]. URL: https://www.scimagojr.com/journalrank.php. (Дата обращения: 10.07.18.)
- Хабаровское краевое научно-практическое общество анестезиологов и реаниматологов [Электронный ресурс]. URL: www.airhab.org. (Дата обращения: 10.07.18.) [Khabarovskoe kraevoe nauchno-prakticheskoe obshchestvo anesteziologov I reanimatologov [Internet]. URL: www.airhab.org.]